Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Week as a State Representative


Sunday Jan 8 – Wild Hog Dinner

The wild hog dinner was a treat, featuring wild hog halves that were served to those in attendance. Buffet lines of pulled BBQ, potato salad, stew, fried chicken, and fried okra, were lined up for the faint of heart who didn’t want the wild stuff. Fruits, cobbler, and Mayfield peach ice cream were on hand, if anyone had room for dessert. 

I met Phil Kemp from the Georgia Gang on Fox 5, who welcomed me aboard as a newcomer. He was very nice, and it was a pleasure to him in person. I got to speak with Casey Cagle, briefly, for the first time since being elected to office. Governor Deal was there, being followed by the television cameras, looking for words of wisdom. There was a great number of folk in attendance, and many ate their meal standing and talking to the crowds. We were fortunate enough to get a seat near the speaking platform and the food!   My wife and I were accompanied by Bonnie and Mickey Burns, two of our neighbors who helped out with the campaign. None of us had ever been to the Train Depot, and it is very unique. I could just imagine the depot 140 years ago with the people and their bags, goods being moved in and out, and the noises of a busy train depot, much like tonight! The huge doors are still there with the numbers painted on the bricks. 

Monday – FIRST DAY!!!   

Drove down and got into my office by 7:30. Traffic wasn't too bad. Checked in with my calendar, and went to the first chamber meeting. Met with the Republican caucus, who was meeting with all the freshmen -  Donna Shelton, Alan Peake, and Ed Lindsey. They let us know they were there to help us, but advised us to sit tight, listen, and learn as newbies. They encouraged us to be educated voters, and gave us info about the upcoming session.

Attended the chamber dinner at the World Congress Center, and sat with Lee Chapman and Randall Pugh, as the guest of Jackson EMC. Then, I hurried back to stay at the Sheraton, since I had decided to stay in Atlanta the first two nights to soak it all in. The Sugar Bowl was on, so I immediately got the TV on, and pulled for Alabama to win, which they did in rare form!

Tuesday - Eggs and Issues Breakfast at 7:30 at the World Congress Center  

Bright and early, I was up and at the Eggs and Issues Breakfast where Gov. Deal revealed his plan and budget for 2012. I returned to the office to catch up on mail, email, and get ready for the State of the State Address, that was broadcast live at 7 pm on PBS Click here to watch the State of the State Address Gov. Deal spoke of returning funds to education, reworking parts of our criminal justice system, creating a friendly place for small business and new business in Georgia, and create a viable work force for employers.  This was a unique event and a highlight of the week for me. To be there live and hear the Governor speak, and to be sitting in the chamber was a very humbling and honorable experience. I was proud to be there representing the fine people of Southern Hall County. The speech was a good one, and outlined many points that the legislature hopes to tackle during this session. Hall County is a good place to live, as they are definitely well represented at the Capitol!!! I went back to my room for the night, and fell into bed to be ready for tomorrow!

Wednesday 

Into the office at 8 to meet and talk with many of the reps, getting to know them a bit. The Okefenokee area from Georgia, Education, and Rehabilitation groups had receptions, along with Banking at the Commerce Club. I spent some time with Gary Black, our AG guy. Mining and Minerals met with us lastly. Ate dinner with the freshman group that evening. Home to see my wife and sleep in my own bed tonight!!

Thursday 

Traffic was awful, and I made it at 10:10, almost late for session. I had lunch with the Republican Caucus, and met more new reps. I was also interviewed by the Times here. Went out and met with Ga. Power and caucus leaders.  

Friday 

Left earlier this am. Got there with time to spare. Had session in the chamber, a few bills went into committee, and we were finished by noon. After checking in at my office, I left ahead of the traffic, and headed home for the holiday weekend, and a week at my other job, since there is no session next week due to the Martin Luther King Holiday.

Summary

My first week as a legislator was exciting and invigorating! Everyday is full of learning about Georgia and how government is run here in our state. It is an awe-inspiring experience, and I am humbled to be a part of it.  My homework is “reading” two one inch thick spiral bound notebooks on the budget…

I have met a nucleus of business oriented new freshmen legislators. That is encouraging to see down at the capitol. I am excited to see these folks, and feel that real change is being talked about, and a framework laid down for this to occur in the future.         

We do not have session next week, so it is back to Robinson Harrison Poultry to make a living – see the legislature again on Monday January 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment